Monday, January 19, 2009

Running part 1

I'm a runner. I run. It's been a part of my life since I was able to put one foot in front of each other in rapid succession. My mom said I ran before I could walk. Once I figured out I no longer needed to hold on to the side of the table, I figured there was no reason to take it slow. That seems to be a common theme in my life.

I ran track in grade school. I was the fastest in the 100 meter dash in my grade. I played elementary soccer and football and did well, not because I knew what I was doing (I didn't), but I could run fast and that seemed to be enough.

During my teenage years, I watched the movie Rad and got hooked on BMX freestyle. I stopped playing all sports and focused on my bike. I didn't run or play sports from 7th grade until after college. During college I started a "Things to do before I die" list and put marathon somewhere near the top.

I remember the first time I decided to start running again. I marked a mile out in the car and put on my Vans and started out. I got about 1/2 mile before I had to stop.  I couldn't make it. I was out of breath. I walked back home and tried again the next day.

And the next. I bought Runner's World. I found a social media community before there was even such a thing (Dead Runner's Society is still going I believe, 16 years later). I found training partners. I bought shoes. I got a watch. I started keeping track of Personal Bests. I picked the White Rock marathon as my first race and then promptly got injured and didn't make it that year.

But in 1995 I finally did. I trained, fought through it all, and completed a marathon. 26.2 miles and I finished. I cried at the end. I put that medal around my neck and never felt more proud of myself. I wrote a story about it in a journal that I password protected and have forgotten what it was. I didn't run for 2 months afterward and thought I was done with that part of my life.

Except I'll never be done with running. I am thankful I can run. You see, a very little known fact about me is that I was born with Ataxic Cerebal Palsy. It's a milder form that many of you may know about. I had to wear leg braces from birth until I was about 3. I had to visit Children's Medical Center for therapy multiple times per week (back then it did not have the cool crayon park theme), but I remember going. Then something happened and I no longer needed them. My mom claims it was a bona fide miracle and I was featured on the 700 Club (no VCRs back then, sorry). Other people said I was mis-diagnosed. I have often thought about digging up my medical records in the basement of the Children's Hospital X-files style and piecing together the story.

When I run I can't think of work, or kid problems, or money. When I run all I can think about is the run. For that period of time I'm free from all that burdens me down. I put life on hold and I focus on putting one foot down in front of the other in rapid succession.

And I'm thankful.

No comments: